Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Old is New

I went to the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) this past Saturday. Among the normal activities of going on rides, visiting fun houses and eating a lot of food (and I mean a lot) I had a chance to visit a few of the buildings; one being the International Building.


There were a lot of vendors carrying just about anything and everything you could imagine. I loved looking around. The Lavender cart was still there - it's been there ever since I was a little kid. You can get fresh lavender and it smells magnificent.


As I was leaving the building, I noticed something shining in the corner of my eye. It made me turn around. A Genie lamp! It was blown glass, and trimmed in gold. I looked up and noticed it was from the Egyptian stand at the Exhibition. When I looked closer I noticed that it was for perfume oil! I did a happy dance...in public!



I have always wanted one of these items, and I was completely blown away at the selection. Beautiful blown glass for perfume oils. These are no longer popular but they are certainly beautiful. Since it was the CNE there was a special, and my arm was twisted really hard! I had no choice but to purchase all four bottles.



I have been keen on making my own perfume for awhile now, so perhaps these bottles are the inspiration I need. When I come up with some interesting recipes, I'll post them.


One thing I know for certain, perfume will feel more special when holding such a pretty bottle.



All the best,

Marnie

15 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

I'd buy one if it really came with a genie…then I'd wish for all of the other bottles with genies in them.

Marnie said...

Teach - LOL! I would do the same thing...and then have world domination (insert evil laugh here)!

RawknRobynsGoneBlogWild said...

Those are awesome, the kind every girl (big or little) wants. You did good!
xoRobyn

Marnie said...

Thanks Robyn! xo

Powdered Toast Man said...

I would still prefer a genie to some perfume.

Deborah said...

So beautiful!

The first one especially.

Sir Thomas said...

I never knew this... I got about 8 of those while in egypt and gave them all away filled with lotus perfume from the nile...

I love that smell...

Alice in Wonderland said...

I LOVE these old bottles! Even if they were only used as ornaments, they would still look good.
Actually, old perfume bottle are worth a fortune in England, but if you are going to use them for perfume, remember that dark coloured glass is always better. Maybe bath-salts or aromatherapy oils could be stored in them.
Big hugs!

Marnie said...

PTM - A genie would be cool!

Deborah - Thanks. I like the first one too.

Sir Thomas - I'll bet everyone enjoyed your gift. That was a treasure indeed.

Alice - I know old perfume bottles are worth a pretty penny! I was looking at a few on e-bay about a year ago. They can be worth some serious cash!

Fortunatly these bottles are small, so whatever perfume you'd put in would be used quickly. They most likely would be ok so long as you don't keep them near the sunlight.

Heff said...

If you pop the top, will Barbara Eden come out of the bottle ?


(Hey, a guy can DREAM, right ?)

Marnie said...

Heff - Dreams are where all great ideas begin. I loved I Dream of Genie when I was a kid.

YogaSavy said...

Reminds me of I dream of genie now if i could get one with a real genie(male)

Marlene said...

Oooh...very pretty!!! In all the years I lived just 2 hours away from Toronto, I NEVER attended the CNE....and now I'm bummed.

smArtee said...

They are so beautiful...I love the idea of these...I always see the atomizer with the spray bulb too..and think how nice to have your fav perfume in one of these...good for you ...you need a treat too..!

the eternal list said...

only if my genie is dumb enough to go for the "my first wish is to have more wishes" routine...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails